Social, Behavioral & Educational Research IRB
Below you will find resources to help you learn more about Tufts University policies that may be applicable to human subjects research, as well as guidance created by the Tufts SBER IRB Office to help you as you develop your projects and plan your submissions.
- OVPR’s Human Subjects Principal Investigator and Faculty Advisor Eligibility Policy
- As per the above policy, the following individuals are eligible to serve as a Principal Investigator (PI) or Faculty Advisor (FA) at Tufts University:
- Individuals with paid faculty appointments at Tufts University. This excludes individuals who are Emeritus, Adjunct, or Visiting Professors; Instructors; and Professors of Practice.
- Senior Scientist, Scientist I, II, or III (HNRCA only)
- Non-faculty, professional staff who hold a full-time employment position at the University, are conducting research related to their specialized field and/or official duties, and have adequate expertise to conduct the research study
- Administrative Staff who hold a full-time employment position at the University, are conducting research related to the individual’s official duties at the University, and have adequate expertise to conduct the research study
- Tufts University students are allowed to serve as PI, with the identification of a PI-eligible FA.
- If you do not automatically qualify as PI or FA-eligible, you may request a PI/FA exception by completing the PI/FA Exception Request Form and e-mailing it firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the IRB Chair and Research Regulatory Compliance Director.
- The National Institute of Health's (NIH) Data Management and Sharing Policy applies to all NIH applications with deadlines on or after 1/25/2023 and requires these applications to include a Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMSP). If you are applying to NIH for a grant, please refer to following resources regarding a DSMP.
- NIH's Instructions on Writing a DSMP