Comparative Medicine Services
Tufts Comparative Medicine Services (CMS) provides an array of in vivo services to support preclinical and biomedical research to industry and to academic research laboratories in Massachusetts and the New England area. Tufts CMS provides oversight and management of the AAALAC accredited animal care and use program on the Boston campus. Tufts CMS also supports the vivarium for Tufts Launchpad | BioLabs, a world-class biotech incubator space on the Boston campus that provides resources for entrepreneurs in the life sciences.
For animal related emergencies, please contact Tufts Police who will contact the appropriate CMS staff.
Tufts Comparative Medicine Services (CMS) at Tufts University and Tufts Medical Center provides facilities, services, and information to facilitate high-quality research using laboratory animals. Tufts CMS is fully committed to the judicious, humane use of animals in research and teaching and supports all animal related research through the provision of laboratory animal management and veterinary medical care and assures institutional compliance with all federal, state and local regulations and policies. Tufts CMS consists of a team of highly trained individuals dedicated to the humane care and use of research animals. Our strength and success is the outcome of our commitment to maintain the highest quality laboratory animal program and serve as a resource center for investigators. We strive to provide the best standard of care that results in the best possible quality of life for all laboratory animals.
The mission statement applies to all of the division’s customers and includes:
- Regulatory and Accreditation Agencies which evaluate our program for the humane care and use of research animals
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH)
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC)
- Animal Users who expect high quality animals and services
- Tufts University and Tufts Medical Center which expect a high quality animal care and use program
- The Community, which expects humane care and use of laboratory animals in biomedical research