PHS Termination Notices
A termination notice for each trainee must be submitted immediately upon the termination of his/her support on the award.
Termination notices (PHS 416-7) are used to document the termination of appointments to individual and institutional research training programs, including fellowships, training grants, career development awards, and research education awards. A termination notice for each trainee must be submitted immediately upon the termination of his/her support on the award. Awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with the following activity codes may require termination notices.
Submission of Termination Notice
- The Program Director (PD/PI) initiates, reviews, makes any necessary updates to the termination notice, and selects the appropriate Tufts Business Official (BO). Representatives of Central Post-Award are designated as Business Officials (BOs) for the PHS Termination Notices.
- After saving the termination notice, PD/PI routes it to the trainee.
- Trainee completes the appropriate fields and routes the termination notice back to the PD/PI.
- The PD/PI reviews the form, makes any necessary changes, saves and routes to the BO for submission.
- BO reviews the termination notice, updates as necessary, and submits to NIH.
- xTrain (eRA Commons): https://era.nih.gov/services_for_applicants/other/xTrain.cfm
- xTrain Termination of Appointments Quick Reference Guide: http://era.nih.gov/files/termination_appointment.pdf
- xTrain FAQs: https://era.nih.gov/commons/faq_commons.cfm#XVI.