Occupational Health Services
Under OSHA chemical hygiene, any worker exposed to a chemical is entitled to medical counseling and review, and treatment if needed. This includes students and employees. Certain chemicals have specific medical surveillance requirements (Laboratory Use of Chemicals that Require Occupational Medical Services (OSHA 1910))
Under the OSHA BBP Standard any employee with risk of exposure to human blood or other potentially infectious materials is entitled to Hepatitis B vaccination and post-exposure evaluation.
Personnel who work with laboratory animals also have the right to protection from animal allergens and zoonoses.
If you are looking for vaccination, medical counseling, medical clearance, treatment for exposure to hazardous materials, the occupational health providers listed below are available to help you.
Occupational Health Providers
This service is available any time of the day or night for all TU personnel (including students) who experience an accident or exposure to hazardous materials while working in a lab.
Use this option if you:
- Work in a lab at a TU campus, or
- Are an employee on the Grafton campus
Contact the Exposure Response Call Center at 866-360-8100.
Use this option if you:
- Work with laboratory animals on the Boston or Medford/Somerville campus, or if you have an exposure to hazardous materials while working with animals on the Boston or Medford/Somerville campus, or
- Are a student or employee with the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (either use the Tufts Medical Center option, or follow the site-specific Exposure Control Plan), or
- Work at the HNRCA
During business hours (Monday - Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm), contact Employee Health
- Call 617-636-5480
- Employee Health is located in 185 Harrison Ave, 3rd floor
Outside of business hours, go directly to Tufts Medical Center Emergency Department
- 800 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
Use this option if you are:
- Are an employee on the Grafton campus, or
- If you work with animals on the Grafton campus
During business hours, contact the on-site nurse:
Karen Therrien, RN
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
Administrative Building, Ground Floor
Phone: 508-887-4241 (x84241 from a campus phone)
(Tues. & Thurs. 8:00am – 4:00pm)
508-251-7260 – office
508-251-7265 – secure fax
Use this option if you are an employee on the Boston or Medford/Somerville campus and do not fall into a category mentioned above.
During business hours, contact Mt. Auburn Occupational Health Clinic
- Monday-Friday 8am to noon and 1pm to 4pm
- Call 617-354-0546
- 725 Concord Avenue Suite 5100 Cambridge, MA 02138
- Call to consult before visiting in person. This is not a walk-in clinic. You may be instructed to schedule an appointment, or you may be redirected to Mt. Auburn Hospital, which is at a different location.
Outside of business hours, go directly to Mt. Auburn Hospital
- 330 Mount Auburn St., Cambridge, MA
Click here for more information, map, and addresses for the Occupational Health Clinic and the Hospital.